Josh's sisters, Janella (and her husband and 3 kids) and Joanna, came for a visit over Chinese New Year. We said goodbye to them this morning after a fun-filled two weeks. Here are a few favorite pictures from our time together.
Firefly Tour in Desaru, Malaysia
Here are a few interesting things I learned about Chinese New Year:
- Taxis charge extra.
- If you go to California Pizza Kitchen on Orchard Road, they give you an $18 voucher for your next visit in the traditional Chinese New Year "red envelope"
- Chinese New Year is determined by the first new moon of the new year. It starts on the first day of the first lunar month of the new year and ends on the 15th day.
- We are now in "The Year of the Rat"
- In traditional Chinese culture, if it is your year (the same animal of the year you were born) you are supposed to wear red every single day for the entire year.
- On CNY Eve, families gather for a "reunion dinner." Typical dishes include fish and dumplings.
- A few superstitions:
- Don't sweep your house during CNY or you will sweep away the good luck.
- Don't cut your hair during CNY or you will cut away the good luck.
- Don't wash your hair on New Years Day or you will wash away the good luck.
- Don't cry on New Years Day or you will cry ever day of that year.
- Do wear red on New Years Day to ensure a bright and happy future.
- Don't lend anything during CNY or you will be lending things all year long.
- Do open your windows and let in fresh air. This will blow in the good luck for the New Year.